The Toronto Street Food Project (TSFP) is a campaign to advocate for bringing delicious and diverse street food to the people of Toronto and supporting the independent entrepreneurs that want to cook it for them.
Objectives of the Toronto Street Food Project
We are a coalition of food truck and food cart advocates who want a more robust, animated street food scene in Toronto. These are our objectives.
We’d like our City Council to do the following:
1. Recognize the importance of street food vendors to the vitality of the public realm.
2. Recognize that street food carts and trucks provide employment opportunities and play an important role in the city’s economy.
3. Recognize that carts and trucks are above all legitimate small business enterprises.
4. Remove regulatory barriers on cart design and food offerings to recognize the diversity and individuality of street food vendors.
5. Lift the moratorium on vending permits in the three downtown wards.
6. Relax the requirements for vending locations to make it easier for potential vendors to identify suitable spots from which to vend, while still recognizing the need for ample sidewalk space and accessibility.
7. Provide more freedom for food trucks to roam and park with reasonable restrictions.
8. Allow for street food clusters to encourage foot traffic and business in public spaces including certain parks.
By accomplishing these objectives, we can:
Build economic and community vitality in Toronto’s neighbourhoods by attracting foot traffic to commercial districts;
Provide more accessible entry point opportunities for entrepreneurs wishing to enter the food service industry; and
Create increased awareness of the social, cultural and economic benefits of street food vending.
For more information and frequently asked questions, please visit our resources area.
The TSFP is made up of a coalition of members from different organizations brought together by the same vision for Toronto street food.
Founder of Toronto Underground Market. email@example.com
Executive Director of Street Food Vendor Association; street food cart owner and operator since 1995. firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Lawyer, Carly Dunster Law. email@example.com
Urban Planner. firstname.lastname@example.org
Owners & operators of El Gastrónomo Vagabundo food truck. email@example.com
Youth and Public Health Advocate.
Executive Director of Food Forward. firstname.lastname@example.org
While we started this campaign, it wouldn’t be possible without you.